Friday, February 21, 2014

The Future of Learning: Gamified Classroom

From birth, I have been on this relentless, perpetual journey of improvement.  I don't know if this is part of being my own worst critic or the desire to genuinely make the world a better place...perhaps a combination of the two, but lately, I have had this driving motivation (stronger than usual) to improve my craft as a teacher.  This leg of my odyssey (pun intended as I do teach World History) and of course a fellow educator, Laren Hammonds, (who just happens to also be a great friend) has led me to this:


As a life-long competitor, I admit to being intrigued by the concept of a "gamified classroom" for personal in addition to professional reasons.  Personally, I believe this type of instruction has the potential to reach the previously disengaged students...perhaps athletes (which appeals to my competitive nature), "gamers," or the just plain bored (for whatever reason).  Not a day goes by that I do not see students (from every demographic/walk of life) playing games on their mobile devices...incessantly, unremittingly.  THIS (games) is how students are spending time (as much as they can) in our classrooms and at home.  Why not use this to our educational advantage?  Professionally, I think this learning environment will provide a unique opportunity for students to be challenged.  One case study completed in an Arkansas high school indicates that students in one biology teacher's classroom are prompted to apply, "create," "make," "write," and "develop"...all of which are Bloom's buzzwords.  Just a quarter into the book, I am finding myself provoked into deep reflection on my own practice and motivated to dig even deeper.  Only time will tell, but this social studies teacher may be a "Game Master" yet.

Sheldon, Lee. The Multiplayer Classroom: Designing Coursework as a Game. Austrailia: Course Technology/Cengage Learning, 2012. Print.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Stephanie!

    I have Gamified my English Course and have read this text as well.

    I recommend also reading (http://www.amazon.com/Reality-Broken-Games-Better-Change/dp/0143120611/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428771533&sr=8-1&keywords=reality+is+broken+mcgonigal)

    My website is (http://thekingdomandthekeys.weebly.com/) if you want to see how a Gamified Course can look.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete