Thursday, February 6, 2014

My Inaugural Post

Mid-way through year three as a teacher and after reading countless blogs of other educators, the decision has been made to try my hand.  Please allow me to introduce myself...I am mid-level, social studies teacher/sponsor/coach from the deep South.  From an early age, "classes" were taught and "reports" sent home to favorite teddy bears, barbie dolls, and neighbor children.  Teaching and caring for the next generation is ingrained deep in my soul, and I am rather fortunate to have the opportunity to serve young people from six weeks old to twenty-two.  From camp counselor and nursery coordinator to conference volunteer and middle school teacher, I am invested in providing support and learning opportunities to those with whom I have the chance to do so.

This being my inaugural post, I am not entirely sure what expectations to set for the audience.  There will be social studies.  Teaching/preparing/caring for the next generation is my passion, and social studies is a close second and a means by which I can reach the students.  Social studies affects every person every day and will continue to do so until the end of time.  Engaging in social studies, knowing it, and applying principles learned from it provide students a distinct opportunity to be successful, productive, and contributing global citizens, and thus social studies should not be overlooked.  There will reflection.  Reflection on instructional strategies, assessment, student anecdotes, successes...and yes, failures, as I am sure they will come and probably come most often.  There will be honesty.  Reflection does little if it is not honest.  Sharing ideas and stories does little if it is not honest.  It would also not be "True Life:  I'm a Teacher" if it is not honest.

So...here it is, my first post, motivated by an intrinsic desire to improve my practice (among other things) every day and by the extrinsic challenge of the sheer excellence of my esteemed administration and accomplished colleagues.  As my students say, "The struggle (for me reflection, growth,...life in general) is real," and I will add my own bit..."but, so very worth it."

No comments:

Post a Comment